Vegan In-N-Out Animal Style Burgers and Fries
While I was vegetarian, I got to go to In-N-Out a few times when I visited California. We don’t have them out here and I went back to being vegan in March. Since I keep seeing people post images of their food from there I thought in my head that not only I could make my own, I could also make it vegan. This really wasn’t that hard after acquiring everything that I needed. The hardest part was caramelizing the onions since that takes the longest and timing the fries to be done around the same time the burgers get done cooking.
Here’s everything you’ll need for the sauce:
- 5 tablespoons of vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 tablespoon of sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon of raw unbleached sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
You’ll also need
- 1 onion (diced) for caramelizing
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- some yellow mustard
- Some wheat buns
- Vegan American cheese - I used rice cheese
- Fast food style fries - Frozen ones work fine unless you want to slice up your own like they do
- Vegetable toppings - depending on what you want on it like dill pickle slices, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, sliced onion
- Vegan burgers - I used organic vegan boca burgers. You could make your own, but they should be really thin if you do.
- First things first, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat while you dice your onion. After you’ve diced it, add it to the skillet and stir well until it starts to dry and the onions start to brown. You’ll want to add some water to them every now and then to keep them from burning and keep them juicy. This process can take up to 20 minutes or so. So while these are cooking you can start on everything else.
- Pre-heat your oven for your fries according to the package and put them in once it’s heated up.
- Go ahead and make the sauce by just combining everything in the first list into a small bowl and stirring well and prep your toppings.
- Once your onions are nice and brown, put them aside and then add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and lower to medium heat. Add your burgers and stir, making sure the oil covers the bottom of the burger and salt and pepper the top. Also add a tablespoon of mustard to the uncooked top side and once its cooked about a minute or so, flip and cook the top side in the mustard. As soon as you flip, add a slice of vegan cheese to the top so that it melts a little bit. You don’t want to cook these very long because they’ll dry out and lose their taste.
- When your fries come out, add a slice or two of vegan cheese to the top, some of the onions and the sauce. Put your buns in the oven for two minutes so. Take them out and on the bottom of the buns, add the sauce and vegetable toppings then the burgers cheese side up and the onions on top.
These were pretty close to what I remember them tasting like. I hadn’t had their burgers but from what I’ve read the burgers without the toppings aren’t very flavorful but these definitely are. If anyone else tries this please let us know how it turned out.